At the Staff Room we continually strive to ensure our client schools are provided with the best teaching and support staff available. This is achieved through our rigorous selection and registration process, based on DfE Safer Recruitment in Education guidelines. We don’t just take on any teacher or teaching assistant, we select only those candidates who have the right attitude and skills, alongside a genuine passion for education, so you get the quality candidates you need.
Our commitment to quality extends to the way we check and support our staff. All our Teachers, Classroom Support, SEN and Nursery staff undergo a stringent vetting process to ensure they are suitable for placement. Checks are completed prior to the first placement of a candidate and are repeated during service as and when required. The following checks apply to all education sector personnel before they are placed into a booking:
- Identity, change of name and National Insurance number
- Permission to work in the UK
- Minimum of 2 proof of address documents
- Full application form to include Health and Disability declaration
- Fully Enhanced DBS (to include Children's Barred List) either applied for via The Staff Room or a DBS checked via the update service. We check against the update service every 6 months, or renew if not registered with the update service
- Childcare Disqualification Declaration
- TRA (Teaching Regulation Agency) every 6 months
- Previous employment history from date of leaving school, with all gaps in employment history explored
- Minimum of 2 satisfactory written references. One must be from the candidate's last employer and, where possible, cover a period of the last 5 years work history
- Since 1 May 2021, police clearance check (or equivalent) and Letter of Professional Standing (if applicable) if a candidate has lived/worked overseas for more than 6 months within the last 10 years. Prior to this date, all candidates were required to provide a police clearance check (or equivalent) if they had lived/worked overseas for more than 6 months within the last 5 years
- All overseas trained teachers (OTT) require QTS status as confirmed by the TRA
- All staff successfully complete online Level 1 Safeguarding in Education training, incorporating child protection, e-safety and prevent radicalisation and extremism. This is renewed every 2 years
- All staff complete online COVID-19 awareness training
- All staff are provided with Part One of "Keeping Children Safe in Education 2020"
- All staff are provided with The Staff Room Agency Limited Code of Conduct
- All staff are photographed and given a photographic ID badge to wear at all times whilst in schools
- The following statement is included on all candidate documents and advertising "The Staff Room is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment"
It is The Staff Room's policy to ensure all relevant pre-registration checks are carried out by staff who are trained in our procedures and who understand their responsibilities. All Staff Room employees have completed the NSPCC's Safer Recruitment in Education training. All original documents, provided by applicants, are photocopied and signed by the Consultant as "originals seen".